A 5-minute easy recipe to make our Grandma’s secret recipe of vegan Golden Milk with turmeric, ashwagandha and dashmool – it’s truly a mood boosting cure!
In Ayurveda, the ancient knowledge of natural healing that originated in India many centuries ago, golden milk or haldi doodh is a calming yet revitalising elixir. In its humblest form, it is a fusion of hot milk and ground turmeric. With the benefits of key ingredients like turmeric, ginger and black pepper, it is anti-inflammatory, boosts immunity and makes you glow from within, all at once.
Turmeric has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years to heal the body from within. This is largely due to curcumin, the specific element of the spice that provides its anti-inflammatory and circulatory stimulant properties as well as its eminent colour. Black pepper, which we have included in our recipe, is known to make curcumin more bioavailable, helping your body absorb the ingredient fully.
While turmeric may receive most of the attention, the extra spices in our HoliRoots Golden Milk also deserve to be touted for their health benefits. Our recipe features additions of ashwagandha, an adaptogen that adapts to the individual, aiding the body and mind in withstanding stress, and dashmool, a combination of ten Ayurvedic root herbs, which studies have shown, exhibits anti-inflammatory properties.
We also enjoy cinnamon, cardamom and ginger for their antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects. Coconut oil provides a source of healthy fat while nutmeg boosts immunity and detoxifies the body. To sweeten, we like to add a teaspoon of maple syrup or agave syrup.
Here it is: our creamy HoliRoots Golden Milk that is naturally healthy and delicious. Ready in 5 minutes!
Ingredients (Serves 1)
1 cup/250 ml unsweetened plant-based milk (we love oat milk!)
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground ashwagandha
¼ teaspoon dashmool
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon and/or 1 cinnamon stick
Pinch of ground cardamom
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of ground ginger
Pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
1 teaspoon maple syrup or agave syrup (to sweeten, optional)
- Add milk to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over low-medium heat.
- Whisk in turmeric, ashwagandha, dashmool, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg and coconut oil. Season with a grind of black pepper and whisk well to combine and incorporate any clumps.
- Continue to heat, increasing to a medium-hot heat until hot to touch but not boiling. Whisk frequently.
- Taste and add more turmeric or ginger if you wish to intensify the spice before removing pan from heat.
- Stir in syrup to sweeten.
- Allow slight cooling before pouring into a mug, straining if necessary, sprinkling additional ground cinnamon and turmeric powder on top if you wish and enjoying a warm, delicious drink.